Hi everyone… please enjoy these meat free recipes!
CASHEW & PRAWN RICE
This is a very simple and quick dish to make for lunch.
8 tablespoons of veg oil
4 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 onion thinly sliced
800g cooked and peeled prawns / scrimp
8 tomatoes, diced
Large Handful of chopped coriander
2 cup cashew nuts
2 teaspoon dried red chilli flakes
2 teaspoon salt
2 cup basmati rice, rinsed with cold water
4 cup water
1. Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds
2. When sizzling, add the onion and fry until translucent
3. Add the prawns, tomatoes, coriander, cashews, chilli and salt – stir fry for 30 seconds
4. Add the rice and stir fry for a further 30 seconds
5. Add the water and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down very low, cover and steam for 15 minutes.
SQUASH & CHICKPEA SALAD
Chickpeas go very well with sweet, roasted squash adding a little bite to contrast the silky flesh. Serves three to four as a starter or two as a main course.
1 butternut squash or other squash
6 garlic cloves unpeeled but bashed to break the skin
1-2 red chillies with the seeds removed – finely chopped
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
4 bay leaves
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
5 tablespoons of olive or rapeseed oil
I can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Juice of 1 lemon
1 large bunch of parsley – leaves chopped – stalks removed
1 large bunch of coriander – leaves chopped – stalks removed
1 small bunch of mint – leaves chopped – stalks removed
1. Heat oven to 200c/400f/gas mark 6
2. Chop the squash into small chunks after scooping out the seeds
3. Put the squash into a roasting tin with the chilli, thyme, garlic, bay leaves, salt & pepper.
4. Trickle over the olive oil and mix with your hands so that it’s all coated
5. Roast for 35-45 mins – until the squash is soft and beginning to char around the edges
6. Add the chickpeas, toss and cook for 5 mins to warm through
7. Add the lemon juice and herbs and serve